Organistion Information - National Socialist Motor Corps
[Nationalsozialistisches Kraftfahrkorps (NSKK)]
In 1922 the NSDAP acquired a small fleet of vehicles which were used to transport SA members, personal and materials to political meetings. Ordinarily members were encouraged to offer their own vehicles if necessary. As the party grew it became necessary to organise transport in a more efficient way.
The primary mission assigned to the NSKK was to meet all transportation requirements of the Nazi Party. The NSKK absorbed the organic transportation branch of the SA along with all German automobile and motorcycle clubs. Although a separate formation, the NSKK retained close relations with the SA and based its own organisation on that of the SA.
With the outbreak of the war, the NSKK assumed much more important responsibilities and became a valuable asset of the Nazi Party. Motorization, the Nazis maintained, won them Germany, and it would win them the world.
The Naval (Marine) NSKK was a special formation that was formed into the Motor Standarten on the Rhine and Havel rivers. During the war, an additional Motor Standarte was formed to control the bridges in the Danube area.
By 1938 the NSKK had grown to 500,00 men, mainly unpaid volunteers. It helped train mechanics, teach driving skills, and assist the Police in enforcing traffic regulations. Many of these skills were targeted at preparing recruits for service in the motorised and armoured divisions of the Wehrmacht.
The NSKK also became a vital organisation to the Wehrmacht as it prepared large transport fleets of supplies and equipment both within Germany and occupied countries.
As manpower became a problem in the later years of the war, the NSKK recruited pro Nazi personnel from occupied countries, particularly Belgium, Holland and France.
By 1943, almost all of the NSKK was on active service with either the Army or the Waffen SS.
Dagger Information – NSKK 1936 Chained Dagger
In 1936, the leader of the NSKK, Huhnlein, followed Himmlers example in the SS and introduced a new dagger for officers, NCO’s and other ranks who had joined the NSKK prior to January 1933. Again like the SS daggers the chains were added to existing daggers owned by officers. New Officers were given the new style dagger post 1937.
The dagger was produced by Eickhorn as well as a number of other firms, and based upon the standard 1933 NSKK dagger. It had a black scabbard similar to the NSKK 1933 dagger but with an additional plain central mount fitting. Note that Eickhorn is the most common maker and more than likely had the contract to produce the lions share of these chained examples.
The chain was made from linked square plates bearing the Nazi sun wheel swastika, the NSKK emblem and a Nordic triangular "Thurs" rune which symbolised the power of the God Thor, the controller of the weather, and the energy of the conscious and unconscious mind.
The ends of the links have a "D" look, not a round hole nor a square hole. As to the connectors having to be solid etc., this is nonsense. They can be found both solid and just pulled together with a slight gaping.
The suspension clip featured two oak leaves and an acorn.
Early examples of the chain dagger were made from nickel silver whilst the later daggers were made from nickel-plated steel.
Eickhorn subcontracted the making of the chains to F W Assman and Sohne. Each chain was stamped with the RZM code of M5/8 (F W Assman and Sohne) and also Musterschutz NSKK – Korpsfurung (Copyright of the NSKK High Command). Note that there are other makers of this chain, the most common is the RZM 5/8. There are chains that have No markings and are 100% period made. These unmarked chains are of the highest quality and are 100% better than the Assman made chains is all respects. The period made unmarked chains have a vaulted look to them.
Production of the dagger ceased in 1942.
Edited by Bruce Petrin